I’m not much of a BBQ sauce fan. I only have come across a few BBQ Sauces that I’ve really liked. When I started canning, I started experimenting with BBQ sauces and I’ve tried 3 different BBQ canning sauces.
I came across this peach BBQ sauce from Vanilla Garlic. I tried a Chipotle BBQ sauce that ended up being way too sweet. There was another spicy BBQ sauce that I really liked but I don’t eat enough BBQ sauce throughout the year to justify spending my time making two different kinds because I will not forgo a peach season without making this peach BBQ sauce. This peach BBQ sauce is my absolute favorite BBQ sauce ever.
“Wait until you try this sauce!,” says the sugar bear
This peach BBQ sauce is tangy and slightly sweet but is not overly sweet. The chipotle adds a lovely smokiness and a bit of heat on the back of your tongue. It’s thick enough to slop onto meat while it’s grilling but it’s not too thick. It’s my favorite on pork, then on chicken.
Since it’s only 4 pounds of peaches, I use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off of the peaches. 4 pounds is not very many peaches and to me it’s not worth it to use up the time and space needed to peel them the boiling way. When I can the BBQ sauce, I can it in half pint jars as I never go through a whole pint and I have to end up throwing out the last quarter or so of the pint.
Peach BBQ Sauce
Yield: 7 half pints plus some extra for the fridge
4 lbs peaches
½ Cup lemon juice
2 T oliveo il
1 large onion, chopped
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 C Cider vinegar
½ c bourbon
1 C worchestirshire
¼ c tomato paste
Piece of ginger about size of thumb, grated
2 T Chili powder
1 T chipotle powder
Kosher salt and ground pepper
- Set up kitchen according to “Kitchen Tactics: Boiling Water Bath Canning”
- Using vegetable peeler, peel skin off of peaches, cut in half, and remove pit. Slice
- Toss slices with lemon juice as you are slicing the peaches
- In large stock pot add oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant.
- Add peaches, vinegar, brown sugar, and bourbon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered, stirring the whole time.
- Blend well using stick blender
- Add Worchestershire, tomato paste, chili powder, chipotle powser, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 miutes, stirring frequently.
- BWB process for 15 minutes.